I love an Asian breakfast, mostly because in Asia there tends to be less discrimination against what is a breakfast food and what is not. You can have rice, you can have noodles – you can have pretty much anything.
Rice congee is one of my favourites. I make it with brown rice, rather than the traditional white, so that I stick to my paleo rules and it’s so simple to make in the morning – you can leave it on while you’re in the shower and it doesn’t burn or spoil. Brown rice also has one additional advantage – it doesn’t go gloopy the way that white rice does.
If you’re cold during the winter mornings, this is the one to heat you up!
Cooking Time: 15mins
Prep Time: 10mins
- Cooked chicken – 120g
- Brown rice – 1/2 cup
- Chicken stock – 1 cup
- Star anise x 1 whole
- Chinese 5 spice – pinch
- Fish sauce – 1 teaspoon
- Start with pre-cooked brown rice, and a cooked chicken that you’ve already shredded – I recommend you do this early in the week and not first thing in the morning and then it’s ready for the week
- Add the chicken stock to two cups of water
- Add the fish sauce, star anise and Chinese 5 spice to the pot and stir
- Add brown rice, chicken and bring the congee to the boil
- When boiling, turn down to low / medium heat and let it cook together for 10mins and then you’re done!